It is true, here at The DMA we love WordPress.
We use it for 100% of our own web site properties, and we also use it exclusively for our client work.
So, what is it?
WordPress started life as a blogging tool but now it is very well regarded as a complete content management system, suitable for building not just web site blogs but also pretty much any other kind of web site as well.
WordPress has been developed by literally hundreds of software developers, so most of the hard work has been done. For many commercial and personal web sites, starting from scratch without a framework like WordPress means you miss out on a lot of functionality and create a lot more work in building a site.
Naturally this translates to cost, if you going to develop every piece of functionality from the ground up, it’s going to cost more money.
Some of the things we love (and you’ll love too!) about wordpress:
- Very easy to use CMS (content management system); if you can use a word processor, you can manage the content on your web site
- Integrated advanced search engine optimisation (SEO) features, it’s our experience that sites built on wordpress out perform others when it comes to google ranking
- Support for user permissions, so multiple users can contribute to your site
- Seemingly endless list of great plugins that provide additional functionality, no need to always pay for programming when adding functionality to your site
- Manages media (images and video)
- Encourages discussion with user comments
- It’s open source – rather than a proprietary system that locks you in
What does it look like?
It’s a web based tool that you can access with almost any web browser and computer, as opposed to software that you have to install on your computer. Take a look at the screen shot below, it shows the interface that is used to create this very page in our web site!
[click to view larger]
View our Featured Projects page here and see for yourself that many a great looking web site has been built on top of the WordPress platform.